Thursday, March 23, 2006

Downloading software

Tonight, we had the chance to seek and find free software for the handheld. It was a unique experience. I was very surprised at how much is even available. There are programs that are compatible with just about every curriculum, from math to music! In my opinion, this is just one more reason to utilize handhelds. The software is easily downloaded (in most cases) and it is often free. There is no ordering, no PO form, no receipts, no waiting for it to arrrive! You can get so many support materials for your class so easily.

This is also great for parents. I can load these "games" on to my handheld and then my children can play them in the car, the grocery store, and/or the dr. office. They think that they are playing a game, and they are learning something at the same time.

The one down side is that often you cannot preview the entire software before you download it. This means that one must be selective about the sites from which they download. One must take all precautions in order to protect their computer and/or handheld from any viruses or other damaging programs.

I was able to download a number of additions for the program Dropairs. I had already worked with the one that reviews multiplication facts. I was able to add ones that review state capitals, state flags, and telling time. I like the program set up, but it is easy to just guess quickly until you get hte right answer and not really learn anything. I wish there was a way to modify the prgram and prevent that from happening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home